Knowing what and how to pack your things can be a confusing and stressful process in order to make sure everything stays safe and sound. This feeling is only exacerbated when packing fragile items, like glasses, antiques, or porcelain. Read below for some easy tips on how to pack fragile items and keep them safe.
1. Plan, Plan, Plan: Packing up fragile items can be time consuming, and cannot be rushed in order to assure that your items are kept safe. Whether you are moving yourself or hiring professionals, start well before your moving day and plan what and how everything needs to be packed, and where they’ll need to go in your moving truck.
2. Label: Clearly label the boxes or storage containers your fragile items are in in order to make sure that nothing is stored on top of or near fragile items in a way that could damage them.
3. Know What and How to Pack Your Items: Not all fragile items require the same sort of packing strategy. Packing china dinnerware is very different than packing up electronics, which is very different than packing glassware. Research the best ways to pack each item and make sure you have all of the materials needed to keep everything safe.
How to Prepare Common Fragile Items for a Move
– Glassware: Wrap glasses individually with packing paper, and place paper, socks, or even t-shirts inside to take up extra space and fortify your items. Layer and cushion the space around your glasses to make sure things don’t move around.
– Pictures/Mirrors: Wrap frames in packing paper and layer paper or shirts in between frames to create a cushion. If pictures or paintings are larger, wrap in paper and in blankets and move separately.
–TV’s or PC’s: Televisions or desktop monitors should be removed of any wires or cables connecting them to anything (which should then be stored separately). Wrap monitors and screens in blankets or soft materials and make sure they are secured with tape. Place carefully in a box cushioned with paper or other materials. If moving larger desktops or televisions, wrap securely and move separately.
Make sure you know which boxes contain fragile items and which do not. Make sure not to store anything on top of fragile items, and don’t place those boxes in any precarious space or position. Many moving companies will offer special boxes for more fragile items, including ones for mirrors or picture frames. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or layer on the tape – nothing can be too safe!
Reebie Storage & Moving is here for you if you should need assistance with packing. Our professional packing service may be exactly what you need!